Mahara Upgrade Complete - How did it go?

Marc Thiele - http://flic.kr/p/7aTDRK

Well today saw me up early putting our Mahara e-Portfolio Service into maintenance mode so users couldn't login during the upgrade, 00:03 to be precise. The upgrade went well, I monitored the site from 7:30 and the site was fully working by 8:50am.

Several double espressos later and I'm pleased to say all went well apart from a couple of issues I'll report on in my project documentation, one being the hosting solution put back our upgrade day very close to the initial deadline! I'll add this as an additional risk in any future project planning with Mahara and plan accordingly. One slight niggle I had was when I came in this morning to upgrade, it was in full swing open to the world, my early morning switching of the maintenance mode was in vain. This was out of our control but still something to note when requesting any work in the future.

Apart from that, I'm pleased the whole process was, well documented, everyone has been well informed from the get-go about proposed changes, the procedure, upgrade, what it brings etc and my new proposed registration process has been implemented as I envisioned. Time will tell if it has been an effective change.

I'll keep my eye on the reporting and stats to see if there is any major shift in it's uptake, taking into consideration any marketing campaigns we run on Mahara.

The upgrade, along with other team efforts has certainly helped me mould some good practice of a cradle to grave managed project.

Now have to articulate the above into some form of evaluation :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Positive feedback on Elevate's student inductions

Threshold Concepts, Jared and Aperture Science Laboratories.